Understanding Light - and shooting right!

Posted by PRASSPRASETIO

all cameras average the existing light. What that means is, just because you can see it, doesn't mean the camera can. The human eye is far more sophisticated than the most expensive camera money can buy. For example, you stand someone in front of a bright window, your eye can still tell who that person is, but the camera can not, at least, not without help. Your eye will zoom into a person's face and ignore that bright light around them, but the camera will not

Running Apple Mac OS X on Windows PC!

Posted by PRASSPRASETIO

In the best case, Mac OS X Leopard on standard PC hardware can use the full graphics acceleration (Quartz, Core Image) and all the characteristics of CPU

CANON Rebel XS 1000D

Posted by PRASSPRASETIO

recently their in-depth review of the new Canon Rebel XS 1000D!

CANON G9 - Back up For Professionals?

Posted by PRASSPRASETIO

Canon G9 that seemed to have nice specs (12.1 megapixels, a 35-210mm image stabilized lens, and RAW capabilities) and an even nicer price (under $500). The images on the big LCD looked great and the list of pro features on the camera was impressive

Stock Photos, Royalty Free Stock Photography, Photo Search

[TIPS] DPI how and what!

Author: Prassprasetio On Tuesday, July 22, 2008 Share on Facebook

When I started on the Internet, I was a photographer. I started to surf the Web. After several months of research tutoriel photography and photo link, I realized that most of these sites used thumb tack tests format
(usually 1 "x 1 ¼ inch or less). This is back in the days that have a 28.8 modem is considered at high speed.

The reason for these inch nails were so small that it is has taken so long for pictures to come on the page. When you click on an individual thumbnail, a larger version of the image has been
(usually 4x6 or more), but it would take a very long time to do so.

Search all major images I could find, I saved the ones I liked, and brought them into Photoshop where I could be compressed. I made my own site with images that have measured a huge 2 inches x 2 ½ inches, which is better than the small thumb nails, I have seen anywhere else. I quickly found that over 90% of their images were recorded at 72dpi, so that what I did. For several years I have saved all my pictures to 2 inches x 2 ½ inches and 72dpi.

As my interest in photography continued to grow, I realized that the photograph of a portrait website could be cool, but it gave me no money. I needed to set up a site of my own photos. At the moment, I was using a 56k modem and decided my photos must be greater. When I scanned in my pictures I usually do 100% 72dpi, so that all my pictures online now where size 4x6.

After a few years, my laboratory has begun to offer images on CD. They were also 72dpi if I did not have to scan and more. Life was good, but they have used file sizes as 44 inches x 56 inches at that time, I can not really understand. I did not know anybody who ever printed something that big, again, I took these images compressed and reduced to 4x6 inches.

Finally, I started doing the same thing, but saving them as 5x7 inches. My new site www.prassprasetio.com actually looks impressive and very quickly loaded. Yes, I also finally strengthened at high speed real (1.5mbs a sec.) Life was good again, until I returned and began to pursue one of my great loves (writing). I am rather than using this site as a gigantic portfolio, why did I not offer something to sell as well. You know the old adage "write what you know best? For me, it makes perfect sense that I should start writing about photography "how to" advice. That's when things started to get complicated.

When I looked around self publishing and printing on demand publication, I found that they wanted all images at 300 dpi or more. It was a total shock to me. I had thousands of images ready to use, but they were all rescued in 72dpi. I thought Photoshop could save me again if I started to convert to 300dpi, but something is not right. My 300dpi images considered worse than my 72dpi images. I was at a loss. Then I returned and my research.

The reason why the images on a CD of the laboratory are so enormous (measure) is that you can use images in any format. 72dpi is exactly 25% of 300dpi. If you want your images 300dpi appearance razor sharp as the images on your 72dpi done online, printing must be 75% smaller. In other words, an image that measures 44 inches x 56 inches 72dpi would be the same quality as the image that measures 11 inches x 14 inches at 300dpi.

If you take a picture that was originally 5x7-inch 72dpi and try to convert directly to 300dpi, this is not a pretty picture. Similar to the equivalent of the right f-stop and shutter speed right, you should take two factors into account! Size of DPI and are always linked together. You can not change without affecting others. It is much easier to do something that looks good smaller, than trying to expand something after the fact and try to make it look even close to the original. However, the best photo tip I can give a new beginning today is: ALWAYS save your images bigger than you intend to use. Do not waste 15 years of your life and thousands and thousands of images that can be used in a way. Always save big!

2 Response to '[TIPS] DPI how and what!'

  1. my blog Said,
    http://waterghost.blogspot.com/2008/07/tips-dpi-how-and-what.html?showComment=1217329500000#c2646663266772652173'> Tuesday, 29 July, 2008

    lol 28.8 ? high speed? lol


    Emo Scene Layouts

     

  2. http://waterghost.blogspot.com/2008/07/tips-dpi-how-and-what.html?showComment=1219215600000#c4143555040122387952'> Wednesday, 20 August, 2008

    This is back in the days dude..:P